Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Disney!!


Last Friday I volunteered at Glencroft Retirement Community's Annual Quilt Auction. The volunteer service was part of Disney's "Give a day, Get a day." It was funny to see the majority of the volunteers had the same "I'm a Disney Volunteer" badge on.
I was really fun working at the Quilted Cottage booth. Because it is a retirement community, there was obviously a lot of elderly people coming and going. There was a also a lot of families there too. I ran into my old college roommate and another family from my church-totally random. One couple that was volunteering with me, plan on going to Disneyland, then taking a 32 day cruise from Thailand to Alaska! CRAZY!
The best part of my night was when a man dressed in a vest, bowl hat, and small, round glasses came to the booth and bought a pair of scissors. He proceeded to tell me and the other volunteer that he loves old things. "That's why I'm buying these scissors. They look old." He also said, "I love the 1890's. It is a great time period."
After he left our table, we got a good chuckle. It was very obvious he loved the 1890's, he didn't need to tell us. He was sure proud of those "old" looking scissors.
My booth was inside a big white tent. At 7pm, the band started playing so we weren't as busy. It was so cute to see over 100 elderly people singing lyrics to songs I've never heard. (It reminded me of the music my grandparents play in their van!) I sat back, listened to the music, and enjoyed my kettle korn.
I really liked talking with the people and seeing how much people will pay for a quilt. The quilts sure are beautiful!!
Now it's time to plan my Disneyland vacation!! Deric and I will probably wait till Christmas time. Sophi will be almost 1 1/2, so it will be a great little vacation for our family.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!!!! I can't wait to take Kaiden to dland!